Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

I hope everyone was able to have a wonderful day today. I know that there are many who are experiencing sadness on this day. My prayer is that God will comfort and bring peace that only He can provide.

Today brings back a memory from twelve years ago. It was my second Mother's Day, and I was terrified that it might be my last. Nick had been diagnosed about 6 months earlier with liver cancer at 15 months old. We were told there wasn't a cure, but if the tumors would shrink surgery would help.

A month or so before Mother's Day, we were told that Nick couldn't have that surgery. His chances of surviving the surgery were slim to none. We were devastated, and didn't know what to do or say. On the evening of the day we were told this, Keith's mom (Kay) was with me and Nick at the hospital. Nick had been admitted for his scheduled three-five days of chemo. Kay and I sat there, while Nick was sleeping, attempting to eat our supper. We both cried so hard we couldn't eat. Nick's nurse came in on rounds and began talking with us about why we were so upset.

Looking back, I can see God's hand at work here. This nurse was the first person to ever mention a transplant to us. We thought that a transplant was impossible. By the time Mother's Day rolled around, Nick's oncologist had been searching high and low for some kind of option (hope) to give us. Eventually he found it, since Nick had a liver transplant.

I can remember telling Keith I was so scared that if Nick died, it meant I wouldn't be a mom anymore. Those were the kinds of thoughts that plagued me on that Mother's Day 12 years ago. I don't remember how I managed to get through it, but I did. I know that God was with me every step of the way. Keith was very understanding, even though I'm sure his heart was breaking as well.

Today, my Mother's Day was spent receiving flowers, cards, and sweet treats from Nick, Kacie, and Keith. We went to church, out to lunch , and bowling. I was asked what I wanted to do for Mother's Day, and I wanted to do something "normal". Bowling was the first thing that came to mind. I had a wonderful day. What a difference from twelve years ago!

I've now had the opportunity to celebrate Mother's Day fourteen times. I just have to pause and thank God for each of these, even the not so good ones. I remind myself that once upon a time, I was afraid I wouldn't have any more Mother's Days at all.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: