Monday, June 11, 2012

Starts and Stops

I have started at least three posts and stopped them part way through. Then I deleted them without posting.

Why? I'm not exactly sure, except I can't seem to put what I'm feeling into words.
So, I am going to go with the MLC standby...bullet points!


  • Life has been crazy busy with ending the school year, ending the dance year with two dance recitals, numerous doctors appointments for me and Kacie from the wreck on April 7, and everything else thrown in for good measure.
  • Nick is doing okay. I did move his chemo appointment to this Wednesday, June 13. I really think that his body needed the break. The steroids have definitely built up in his body. We are dealing with mood swings very similar to what Keith had post seizure. 
  • Kacie left for her annual week at church camp this morning. It's her last summer in the children's program at church. She moves into the youth group come fall. It seems like she is turning into a teenager overnight. I am hoping and praying that she has a wonderful week.
  • Her knee is doing better. The MRI showed no tear! Lots of praise for that! She ended up needing to be on crutches for two weeks. Taking that time to allow her knee to have total rest,enabled her to be able to dance in the two recital performances this past weekend. 
  • My shoulder is some better. I had an MRI and it showed no tear! Another praise! I do have a ton of inflammation in the fluid around my rotator cuff, through my upper back and neck. The discomfort is getting better. The orthopedic surgeon said no surgery is needed. It's just going to take time and some physical therapy. 
  • I would be much better if I knew how to walk though! While Kacie and I were at the recital dress rehearsal, I missed a step in the auditorium. I fell and rolled my right ankle. It is all sorts of nice shades of purple in a few places. I couldn't bear weight on it Saturday, but by Sunday it was better enough that I didn't need crutches. Luckily, I still had my immobilizer boot from when I had a stress fracture. That, an ACE bandage, ice packs, and ibuprofen have been my constant companions. I think I need to be wrapped in bubble wrap!
  • I made it  through the month of May without any major grief episodes. I did have some smaller ones, but nothing as major as I've had in the past years. June is okay so far. I know it may sound weird that I'm kind of preparing in case I have a rough stretch. It's just a part of my healing process. I am a planner. It helps me to feel less ambushed if I kind of "expect" something. It's a nice surprise when nothing happens. I know...worst case scenario. There are just some things that I can't change about myself. That happens to be one of them. I have a really hard time not going to worst case scenario. MLC says it's simply due to the events of the last 16 1/2 years. I've seen too many worst case scenarios develop over the years.
  • Moving on...Nick will be a senior in high school when school starts in August. I can't really comprehend it yet. It's another milestone that Keith and I were told wouldn't likely happen, yet here it is! Even though Nick still has active cancer and the chemo is only working to keep the cancer stable, I am hopeful that this year will be an awesome one for him. It would be so wonderful if he could have just one of his high school years without having to go to Birmingham for chemo all the time. I don't know what the future holds, but I know WHO holds the future!
I guess that's it for now. I am continuing to trust God in HIS plans for us. (Jer 29:11) 

In HIS Grip,
Kristy

No comments: