Thursday, January 5, 2012

This is how it's going for now

Well...Kacie turned 12 on Tuesday. Wow! It is so hard to believe that my baby girl is 12! We're having her party this weekend. For the first time in her entire life, she had to go to school on her birthday. Kacie is looking forward to the party though.

It's been a long week this week, even though it's only a four day week. The kid's birthdays are still tough for me emotionally. The birthdays this go around have been easier to deal with, but still tough.

Added to that, a child was hit by a car on my street the other afternoon. I came upon the accident right after it happened. The child was injured and required emergency treatment, but his injures weren't life threatening. That is TRULY a miracle!

I stopped to help however I could. EMS wasn't even on the scene yet. Thankfully, I had a blanket that I keep in my SUV that I could cover the child with. It was right about 30 degrees, so it was cold.

I did not anticipate that my helping out at the scene would cause me problems with the PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). Well, it did. That night was rough on me. The following day was extremely rough. Thank God that I have good friends and good counselors who were willing to listen to me talk it through and get the toxins out.

I am much better today. It really helped me to find out from my counselors that my reactions and conflicting emotions to everything was completely in the realm of normal for someone who has helped at an accident scene. I don't know how the men and women that do these extraordinary jobs each and every day are able to process and separate the traumas. I am truly in awe of them. They are called by God to do what they do. It is not a job that just anyone can handle.

I've known this about many other areas of the medical profession just from the life that my family has led. Being on the scene of an accident and providing help, especially one involving a child, makes the list of things that I don't ever want to experience again.

Moving on...

I have decided to try dating. I know! I am gasping too! I never really believed that I would ever get to the point that I would even entertain the notion of anything that pertained to moving in that direction. I am going slowly, praying constantly, and I am scared!!! Most importantly is that I am ready and I KNOW that I am ready to take the chance. Only God knows what is to come, but I'm willing to step out of my comfort zone and try.

That's about all the news that I have for now.

It's been a busy week.

No comments: