Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day 2011

This holiday has seen lots and lots of rain in my neck of the woods. Wanna Be Hurricane Lee is making his way across the Southeast slowly, but surely.

The kids and I have spent this cool, rainy day staying in and catching up on housework, homework, and REST.

Only the necessary housework has been done. Since getting the carpet taken out, it's been easier to keep the floors clean. Since spending an afternoon shredding and filing, my kitchen table has remained cleared off. My desk is a different story, but I am making progress. That's the point right?!

Yesterday, the kids, myself, Nana and Pawpaw went to explore Lake Winnepasauka Amusement Park near Chattanooga, TN. We won four tickets as a door prize through The Caring House (where the kids and I have been receiving our grief counseling for two years). We finally had the opportunity to drive the couple of hours and have some fun.

Keith and I grew up attending the county or state fairs that would come around each fall. Once we had the kids, we saw the fairs in a completely different light. The rides weren't safe enough. The carnies were too rough and simply money hungry. I could go on and on and on. Keith and I never took the kids to the fair. Never.

Lake Winnie is like a county fair, but very clean...and very permanent. It was wonderful to see the rides that I grew up riding (Tilt-A-Whirl, Swings, Flying Genie, Matterhorn, Bumper Cars, etc) refurbished and shining. It was wonderful to watch the kids experience the fun of going to an amusement park and it not cost a ton of money. The simplicity of this park is wonderful. That is what charmed me the most. It didn't have the famous mascots or the high tech rides. We didn't wait in line for more than 10 minutes. The scattered rain showers didn't shut the rides down. The workers were polite and willing to help you.

I also noticed that there were a lot of families there that had special needs children/family members with them.
That especially made an impression on me. I am the mother of a child with special needs. It was very frightening to take Nick to theme/amusement parks when he was younger, because of his inability to communicate his needs clearly. I would get very nervous taking Nick anywhere that posed the possibility of him getting lost.It is much easier now that Nick is older and his communication skills are 100% improved. 

To see so many families with their loved ones having such fun made me relax even more. I am not doing the best job at putting this into words. Y'all, it warmed my heart to see young and old, those with disabilities and those without, wandering around, having fun, laughing and rushing from one ride to another.

Lake Winnie is truly a family place.

I want to go back. The kids want to go back. I think Nana and Pawpaw may even want to go back.

So, if you are looking for a blast from the past, Lake Winnie is a wonderful way to spend a day.

Other than our adventure yesterday, it's been a quiet Labor Day. That is nice in and of itself. It seems like I'm just going constantly. I guess I am if I stop and look at life.

I am looking forward to the next time we can take a day to take a break.

No comments: