Saturday, April 30, 2011

Baxley family update 4/30/11

Well...we are safe. There were 6 tornadoes that passed between 1/4 mile to 2 miles from my house. There is no damage to my house or my immediate neighbors homes. My neighborhood actually sustained very little damage. There is some debris (leaves, small limbs, insulation) that we've found. We aren't sure where the insulation is from, but there is a neighborhood that was just about completely wiped out just a few miles from my neighborhood. There were a couple of deaths in that area as well. I imagine the insulation is likely from that area.
We are going on 4 days without power. It has been a challenge to learn how to live without power. Thankfully, a few couple of us either have a generator or have been able to borrow one. That has provided enough power to two-three refrigerators to feed 6 families (total 18 people). I'm doing most of the cooking since I have the biggest gas grill.

My neighbors are all pulling together and we are sharing resources. No one has gone hungry. We have had hot meals twice a day. Different families are venturing out for supplies each day. We have even had some hot water for a bath. Just takes a little more effort.

God is providing EVERYTHING we need, and a few of our wants as well.

It is amazing how a situation like this makes you realize exactly what is important and what isn't. I stand amazed at how God is using such a huge tragedy to bring people together.

My family is so blessed. I think it is safe to say that my neighbors would echo that too.

Now that I have my land line back up, I can have internet occasionally. I'll try to update again soon.

Also, for my extended family: Mom and Kim and her family are fine. From what little bit I have been able to speak with them, their homes haven't sustained any major damage or any damage at all. I think one of the out buildings at Kim's house was damaged. I know that mom, Kim, and Adam are having to work.

Nick is feeling pretty good. No major side effects from the surgery or the chemo. Kacie is feeling good too. I am tired.

We covet your prayers. Please pray for the families that have suffered so much loss. Pray for the relief workers who are trying to get help to the people who need it. Pray for the people who are working around the clock to get our power back on. Pray for continued safety for these workers.



It is looking like Tuesday, May 4, before we may have power back. Pray that supplies can hold out. Every time we start cooking and the families begin to come over to eat, I wonder if there will be enough food, then we have leftovers! I have thought so much about Jesus feeding 5,000 with the loaves and the fishes. We are not feeding 5,000, but having faith that God will stretch everything to feed everybody is awesome. Watching God do it is even more awesome.

We are certainly...

In His Grip!

Kristy Baxley

No comments: