Monday, October 13, 2008

Catching up

We are slowly getting back into the swing of things after fall break. We were able to go to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach again this year with Keith's parents. Other than a couple of rainy days, a couple of really windy days (One day the sand was blowing so hard, we couldn't bear to be out in it!), the beach was wonderful.

The trip wasn't as relaxing as we had hoped it would be. We were involved in a traffic accident in Bay Minette, which is about an hour away from the Gulf. A drunk driver rear-ended us while we were sitting at a traffic light. We are mostly uninjured. My lower back is giving me some problems. I'll have that checked out sometime this week. Our van is another story though. The guy was driving one of the bigger pickup trucks. The speed limit on the road is 55 MPH. There wasn't any screeching of tires, so we figure he was doing at least 50MPH when he hit us. Our van is pretty banged up. After getting it checked out at a collision shop, we were able to drive it home.

Now we begin the process of getting the van fixed. We've got to contact the guy's insurance company so they can reimburse us for the cost of the rental, and other costs. Sometimes I just feel like trouble follows us around. Keith and I are so thankful that everyone was safe. I shudder to think about how different the outcome would have been if we had been in a smaller vehicle. God was truly watching over us.

I have been struggling with a lot of anger and hostility toward the guy that hit us. I am praying that God will help me to forgive this man. Please pray for me as I struggle with this.

Keith and I met with his oncologist this morning. Keith's blood counts are the best they've been in a very long time. His platelets are 74! Praise God! His white blood cell count is 4.0. That is great! What a blessing it was when the doctor told us this morning! Keith seems to be responding well to the time off from the hard chemo.

We also discussed the plans for the short term with the doctor. Keith will have another chemo treatment in two weeks and then CT scans will follow on November 6. We will get the results on Monday, November 10. If the scans show continued improvement or stable disease, then Keith will continue on this lighter chemo for a while longer. If there is some slight increase, then Keith may have to go back to wearing the chemo pump for several days again. If there is a significant increase, the heavy duty chemo will be started back up again.

Keith is doing well. He looks good. His hair is growing and thickening. I am worried, because he seems to tire more easily. I was really surprised this morning that his counts were good, because he has been that tired. His being tired could be a number of things. I am going to try not to dwell on it, and leave it in God's hands.

Please continue to pray for us during the coming weeks. We have a lot going on. Nick's checkup and scans will be in November as well. The PET scans will be Monday, November 3. The special CT scans and checkup will be on Thursday, November 6. That is the same day that Keith's scans are scheduled. That is going to be a tough day.

Kacie is doing good. She is still having coughing from her bout with bronchitis. She'll probably have to go back to the doctor if it doesn't get better soon. She loved swimming in the pool at the condo last week. Kacie has grown from a child who was afraid to get her face wet into a little fish. She reminds me so much of myself when I was a child. She and Nick are such a blessing to us.

I think that pretty much catches us up. I'll update more as time allows.

Kristy

No comments: