Sunday, January 30, 2011

Update on Nick 1/27/11

Nick and I went to Birmingham on Thursday, Jan 27 for his second round of chemotherapy.

The checkup with the oncologist was fine. The doctor said that Nick's spleen felt like it had moved back up some, which is good. That means the swelling caused by the cancer is likely going down.

Nick's IGG level went way down again. That is likely due to the chemo. To counteract that effect, Nick will be receiving IVIG every three weeks. He has been getting IVIG every four weeks up until now. The timing of that means that Nick will be getting IVIG with every chemo treatment. That also means extra long days in clinic.

The next visit to Birmingham will be on Feb 17. Nick will be having CT scans to check to see if the chemo is working. The treatment plan really won't change a lot as a result of the scans. The oncologist said that he will continue with the same treatment plan unless there is a dramatic progression of the cancer (major growth). He said as long as there is some improvement (shrinkage of cancer) or evidence of stable disease (no change), he will keep Nick on the same chemo regimen.

Nick handled the chemo and mega dose IVIG infusions well Thursday. It was a VERY long day. We arrived at 8 AM and didn't leave until 5:30 PM. We finally got home between 7:30 and 8:00 PM.

Nick was sick some during the night Thursday night, even with nausea medicine. He didn't go to school first thing Friday morning, but after another dose of nausea medicine and some stomach friendly food he was able to go. I will be honest and say that I really wanted him to stay home, but he was ready for some normalcy. So...I let him go to school.

The doctor had told me, with the addition of the mega dose IVIG to the chemo, Nick might have more side effects than he had with the last dose of chemo. He did. Nick has also experienced more tiredness this time. It doesn't take a lot for Nick's energy to be depleted.

Nick spent the day yesterday outside enjoying the beautiful weather for a little while. The rest of the time, he was resting and watching TV. Today will likely be about the same. I am trying to get him to rest as much as I can so that he will feel better during the week. Of course, I have to do that without him knowing what I am doing.

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get this update out. I have been up against my first deadline with the class I am taking this semester. Late last night, I finally got all of the assignments submitted that were required before I take the test. The test is due by midnight Monday. It's a one shot deal timed deal, so I am going to fit in some more studying before I take it. I just don't have a lot of time left... There are times when I wonder if going back to college after almost 17 years of being out was the brightest idea.

Thank you for continuing to pray us through this cancer journey. It has been a long, long journey and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

One very specific prayer request is to please pray that Nick does not lose his hair. For those who were here praying us through this 4 years ago, you may remember that was a request then too. I am convinced that we all prayed Nick's hair in. It started coming out, I asked for prayer, and the hair stopped falling out. Well, Nick's hair has just started to fall out again. It's something he isn't talking about very much, but I know that it bothers him.

I realize that it is just hair, but for a 16 year old boy it's different than an adult losing hair. Anyone that has had hair loss due to cancer, young or old, knows the emotional effects that hair loss can have. Nick has certainly had more than his share.

So...calling all prayer warriors: Please pray this child's hair in.

There are many other prayer requests. Everything from complete healing, to lessened side effects, to keeping up with school work, to staying well when his blood counts go way down this coming week. I'm sure I am leaving something out.

Please pray as you feel led. Pray for Kacie, as this is hard on her too. Pray for me. I don't feel strong enough to handle this as a widowed parent.

Trying to remain...

In His Grip,
Kristy

1 comment:

lela said...

My gosh are you an extraordinary strong women, with so much faith, you truly amaze me. I am currently going through 12 weeks of high dose ivig and have google alerts set up for info on it and cames aross your blog. I am heartbroken for all that you have been through and continue to go through, and fascinated with your faith and your ability to keep going. I don't even know what to say to you, as I went through reading your blog I was shocked to see so few comments from others, for of all the blogs out there this one has touched my heart immensley and i know it would others to read it to. To help others to be thankful for all they have even when times are tough and to see the beauty and importance of keeping faith. If you dont mind I would like to tell many people about your blog and ask them to pray for you and your family too. So I am blabbing I wanted to comment but am at a loss for the right words, please know you and your family are and will continue to be in my prayers