Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Update on Nick 7/13/10

I can not get this to send out as an email. I am hoping that many of you that get my emails will check this for the full update from today.

I will get this email sent out as soon as I can figure out what is preventing me from sending emails. It may not get sent until we return home.

Thanks for your patience.

Nick's surgery went as well as any procedure could have possibly gone. When I met with the doctor prior to the procedure, he told me that he fully expected the procedure to take at least an hour but probably longer. He said that it would take at least 45 minutes just to get the set up done. That includes doing everything to prepare for the procedure, as well as sedating Nick, doing the CT scan to find a route to the mass, and marking the pathway. The actual procedure probably would only take about 15 minutes depending on how many tissue samples the doctor was able to obtain at one time.

In only 45 minutes, the doctor was speaking to me in the waiting room. I was completely in shock. Honestly, my first thought was that something had gone wrong. Nope. He was there to tell me that the procedure was finished, and Nick did very well. The doctor was able to find a very clear pathway to the mass and he was able to obtain some good pieces of tissue for pathology. Nick did not need general anesthesia. He only had to be sedated.

Nick spent an hour or so in the recovery room before he was moved to observation. He stayed in observation until he was discharged around 3:00 this afternoon.

Nick has had very little pain or discomfort. He literally only has a band aid over the site. No stitches, but he has to keep it clean and dry. Nick has to take it easy tonight and tomorrow. We also need to be watchful for any signs of infection or bleeding.

Early tomorrow morning (Wednesday, June 14), we will be in the oncology clinic at Children's Hospital for a checkup and IVIG. Tomorrow is the day that Nick is scheduled to receive the mega dose of IVIG. I don’t know if anything has changed, but please be in prayer that tomorrow will be a good day medically for Nick too. My hope is that we will be able to return home once tomorrow's visit complete.

Thank you so much for covering us so completely in prayer. God has answered so many prayers today. I think we did very well considering that this was another very big first for us. It was a tough day for me emotionally doing this without Keith, but I made it through the day.

I don't know how long it will take for us to get any answers back. Hopefully, the oncologist can give some more definite information on that tomorrow.

Thank you again for your prayers, words of encouragement, thoughts, and support.

As always, we strive to remain...

In His Grip,

Kristy Baxley

No comments: